Taking steps to protect your heating and cooling equipment before problems occur is smart, but how do you decide between a home warranty and an HVAC maintenance agreement? By comparing the benefits of each type of coverage, you’ll see that a maintenance agreement comes out ahead, and here are the reasons why:
- Discounted repairs and parts.HVAC service plans usually offer a healthy discount on labor and parts on any needed repairs. Home warranties typically have a limited list of repairs they’ll pay for, and often charge a deductible for each covered service.
- Preventative care.Many maintenance agreements include semi-annual system tuneups and cleanings, which are essential to keep the equipment running at peak efficiency and extend its useful service life. Most home warranties don’t, which adds to your out-of-pocket costs. If you neglect proper maintenance, a warranty may not cover the repairs if an equipment breakdown or failure happens.
- Lower energy costs.Those twice-yearly visits you receive as part of an HVAC service plan can keep your equipment running at 95 percent of its original efficiency, and this saves you money on operating costs. A home warranty won’t bring you any energy savings because it doesn’t cover maintaining, cleaning or tuning up the equipment.
- Preferential scheduling.Maintenance plan customers are put at the front of the line when they call for service, and many HVAC contractors extend them a same-day guarantee. Home warranty companies usually don’t make this effort, and it may take days for a technician to arrive.
- Familiarity and trust.If you sign a maintenance agreement with a familiar HVAC contractor, you’re already confident in their reliability and reputation for excellent service. Choosing a home warranty means you won’t decide who services and repairs your costly home comfort system. Most likely, the technician who rings the doorbell is from the HVAC contractor at the top of the warranty company’s rotating list of providers.
If you have questions about how our maintenance agreements compare to a home warranty, contact us at Roth Home & Cooling. We’ve made the comfort of Portland area residents our top priority since 1976.